Word Problems 2
Subject 1: Solving word problems involving geometric
shapes by using first degree equations.
- Level 1 : One of the angles in a triangle is 88o,the second angle is
3 times larger than the third angle. Find the
- Level 2 : One of the angles of a quadrilateral is
90o, the second
is larger than the third by 2o
and smaller than the fourth by 107o.
Find the angles.
- Level 3 : The perimeter of a rectangle is 76 ft.
If the length of one side is increased by 4 ft,
and the length of the other side is increased by
5 ft, then its area becomes 186 sq. ft larger.
Find its sides.
- Level 4 : A wire 348 ft long is used to make a
rectangular box with a square base. The base edge
is smaller than its height by 3 ft. Find the box
Subject 2: Solving word problems by using first degree
equations with uniform motion.
- Level 1 : The distance AB is 175 miles. Dan
leaves A at 24 mph. At the same time John leaves
B heading towards Dan at 18 mph. When and where
do they meet?
- Level 2 : The distance AB is 59 miles. Dan goes
from A at 13 mph. One hour later John leaves B
heading towards A at 18 mph. When and where do
- Level 3 : The distance AB is 30 miles. Dan leaves
A heading towards B at 22 mph. John leaves B at
13 mph in the same direction. When and where do
- Level 4 : John leaves A at 22 mph. One hour later
Dan leaves A at 29 mph. When and where will Dan
reach John ?
- Level 5 : A car travels from A to B at 84 mph and
from B to A at 98 mph. The total travel time is 8
hours. Find AB and the travel time from A to B.
- Level 6 : Two trains leave A simultaneously. The
first goes at 72 mph and the second at 84 mph.
After 30 minutes the velocity of the first train
increases to 96 mph. The trains arrive at B at
the same time. Find AB and their travel time.
(C) Copyright 2000 MathKal
Educational Software Ltd.